Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I-129 F = Fiancee Visa

A United States Citizen ("USC") may petition the government to allow an foreign fiancee to marry the citizen in the United States. The K-1 visa is available to a USC that 1) has met his or her alien fiancee in person in the last two years; 2) has the good faith intent of getting married within 90 days of the fiancee being allowed to enter the U.S.; 3) there is no legal impediment for the marriage; and 4) has provided his or her criminal record (if any). The minor children of the fiancee may accompany them.

A USC has to satisfy other conditions if he or she has met the alien fiancee through an international marriage broker.

In order to obtain a K-1 visa, the USC must pay a filing fee of $170 and present the supporting documentation together with immigration form I-129 F at the USCIS office of his place of residence. The alien fiancee has to go through an interview at the consular post on the country of residence.

No comments: